4.07.2015

Bigots and Bon Bons: The Job of a Being a Mom

I have seen a lot of articles recently regarding stay-at-home versus working mothers.

I usually try and avoid reading articles on this topic, as they usually just piss me off.  One recently was going around attacking working mothers and I could tell just from skimming some of the comments, that I did not want to read that trash.

I am a stay-at-home mom.

So, I obviously get annoyed with the stereotypes said about stay-at-home moms.  Oh, yes- I am totally bored and sit around all day painting my nails, eating bon bons, couponing, watching all my soap operas, and reading trashy magazines.

Ok- the trashy magazines do sometimes happen, but I am approximately 13 issues behind on my US Weekly Magazine.  I even keep them in the bathroom, so you would think I would have a better chance to stay up to date on those.  However, I have not used the bathroom ALONE in approximately two years.


Case in point:
My son has apparently seen my attempts of trying to catch up on my US Weekly Magazine.
He also thinks Mariah Carey is "pwetty".

As much as I hate the stereotypes against stay-at-home moms, I also get super pissed off at the stereotypes against working moms.  Those are my friends and my family.  Those are good people.  They are not missing out on everything in their child's life.  They are not being selfish.  Odds are good that the nurse who helped deliver your children, have their own children.  But, I bet you were thankful that they were there for you, in your time of need.  They are out there doing great things.  They are wonderful people and wonderful mothers.

I think anyone who writes or says things to try to make themselves appear better than other moms, is an insecure person.  Or, just a jackdick.

It is comparable to when someone you meet asks you if you work or if you stay at home, then immediately feels sorry for you, whatever your answer may be.  I have gotten more "Oh, I am so sorry" nods and expressions than I care to remember.  Get over yourselves.  And, I dare you to ask me what I do all day.

I have also seen that same expression given to working moms.  Really people?  What is wrong with you?  Wipe that look off of your stupid, judgmental face.

Don't get me wrong- it is an okay question to ask someone.  But, you should not have an opinion as to what their answer should be.  For one thing, if you are asking them if they work or not- you obviously do not know them that well.  Curiosity--> fine.  Biased jackdick opinion--> not fine.  Just assume that they are doing what is right for them and what is right for their family.  Because, I can guarantee you that they probably weighed out their options, and chose the best decision for them, not for you.

I personally, pretty much always knew that I wanted to be a stay-at-home mom.  Mind you, I was not closed off to a different career path.  I graduated college, worked several years, tried out a few fields, and then (accidentally, but luckily) became a mom.  Will I always stay home?  I don't know.

I am aware that my desire to stay home with my son, in lieu of a lucrative career, is down right repulsive to some people.  But, I don't care.  I love being at home with my crazy son.  Well, most of the time...  Sometimes, it blows and I miss working, making my own money, having adult conversations about things other than pooping in the potty, not wearing yoga pants and shirts covered in my kid's snot for the third day in a row because I am pretending that I do not know where our washing machine is...  But, I wouldn't change it for the world.  I honestly wouldn't.

Don't get your panties in a wad- I am in no way trying to persuade anyone to choose the path I did.  I know a lot of moms who absolutely love their careers and are damn good at them.  Although it can be hard for some of them to energetically bounce back from maternity leave and dive back into the job pool graciously- often, that is where they need to be.  I also know moms who were counting down the days and could not wait to get back to work.  I completely respect that, and completely respect all of them.

They are moms, just like me.  No better, no worse.  Different in some ways, but- a mom.

And, thank goodness for different.  Can you imagine if all moms, or if no moms were out there in the workforce these days?  I am pretty sure our entire society would crumble.

The amount of unconditional love and worry for your child does not change whether you are at home or at work.  It is an all-consuming phenomenon that is with you wherever you may be and knows no boundaries.

Being a mom (at home or working) is a responsibility like no other.

It is also the hardest and most rewarding job ever.

Damn, I could have just read a magazine if there wasn't so much jackdickery to address.

Till next time Mariah,
Katie

No comments:

Post a Comment